Sunday, September 20, 2009

We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Wednesday September 16, 2009

 

Last night we all went to Epi’s house for some Mutzig (yummy Rwandan beer – although most “true” Rwandan drink Primus) to visit and play Headbanz – well, the homemade version. You know the one. Put a word to your forehead and ask questions until you guess what it is. Believe it or not, I was able to guess African Clawless Otter from that. We saw it last weekend and Jason, who would kick Alec Trebek’s ass in the “Birds and Botany” category, thought I wouldn’t be able to get it. AS IF! I’d know an African Clawless Otter anywhere…..

 

This morning Patrick came to get me at 8:30am and we headed more into the interior today. I was much more relaxed and managed to take my hands off the back grips for most of the ride. It’s probably safer anyway because if I’m holding, and I got flying off, I’m bound to break my fingers and wrists as well as my neck. I’d rather save my fingers, thank you. But I was much more relaxed and it was more of a workout on my abs and core stability – which will become AWESOME by the end of this. We bounced along red dirt roads, pass mud huts (the kind you all thought I’d be living in if I moved here). I got to the school an hour later to the headmaster who is so enthusiastic and supportive that I was happy Tina arranged this to be our first official school visit. Essentially, my role at schools is to observe lessons and provide feedback, suggestions and/or training.

 

Today was a challenge because 4 teachers were away at Gacaca courts. These courts are administered by “judges” who are, from what I can tell, leaders in the community to provide justice to people accused of crime the genocide. (Imagine, the genocide happened 15 years ago, and these courts are still going on!) But the impact of this is that four teachers (of a staff of only 13, which means about 25%!) and there are no substitute teachers. This meant the P6 class (grade 6) was left on their own with one boy incharge. I spoke with them and asked them their ages, names etc. The oldest in this class was 19! There was only one 12 year old and most were about 15. The absence of these teachers also meant that the P1 class had about 70 little ones in it. I managed to evaluate three lesson, and then provide some feed back to the entire staff (I was planning to advise only 2 or 3, but the headmaster set it from for everyone). We sang a song, and I gave some ideas.  It was hard because the rain had started and it I had to shout over the sound of raindrops on the tin roof. Teaching in the classroom effectively stops then too. I know how I hated interruptions when I was teaching (I was always so cranky to have my “lesson” disturbed – as you all know!) so I can’t imagine keeping classroom control in these conditions. The teachers do, though, and I’m learning from them too.

 

I felt a little bit like Dorothy being dropped in the middle of  Munckhin Land. I got off my bike and it was very quiet. I heard a lot of giggling. The headmaster appeared, like the Good Witch, to say hello. As he did that many children began to come out of their classes (it was break time) and come closer, and closer, and closer to me. As soon as I would turn to put my hand out they would scatter away, giggling like there was no tomorrow. Then they would creep back. I was introduced to many teachers and the herd of children – I’m talking of about 300!!! – followed us wherever we went. They would rub my arm – to get the whiteness off…. Of course none of the teaching was helped by the mzungu that showed up.  They are so innocent and so curious that it’s so loveable. They love to shake your hand and give high fives – which kid doesn’t, really? I was finishing up with the teachers when my “pilot” (as they call moto drivers) arrived to get me. I opened the door of the office to see all the little munchkins scatter and gather around the moto. I put on my helmet, gave a few high fives and we started to drive. The children followed, waving “bye – bye” and ran after us until their little legs got too tired. I was waiting for them to all break out in song “Follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road! Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road!” (But they would have to change it to follow the red muddy road….)

 

Now, if only I knew where I put my ruby slippers. Oh, there they are! Oh, no, wait. That red colour is just the dust from the roads….

No comments:

Post a Comment