Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Hokey-Pokey IS what it's really all about!

September 17, 2009

Today was another great day. A trip along the same road until we turn and descend down the mountain. Steep, rocky, steep cliffs to the left…you know, that sort of thing. I trust Patrick, the driver, and relax and enjoy the ride. We played chicken with, goats (not chickens) but they eventually moved. I arrived to the school and observed a few lessons. Of course the students kept saying “Tina! Tina” because they thought I was her. Apparently we look the same. The lessons were typical: write on the board, students repeat (this could be anything from a letter, a fraction, a word or a sentence) and they do this for 20 minutes or so. Then they write it all down. End of lesson. Lunch time came and I stayed in the office until word got around to the double shift afternoon group that a Mzungu was on campus. They began peeking in and literally climbing the walls outside and hanging on the window bars to catch a glimpse. They were so shy, except for a few who extended their hands to say “Good afternoon.” I tried to go back into work but they continued to peek and try to see me. So, if you can’t beat them, join them! I walked out and at this point there were about 25 little ones all giggling and smiling. So, I suggested we make a big circle. The older ones help the younger ones. I had everyone raise their right hand. I went around the circle to check and we “put our right hands in” (giggle, giggle), “put our right hands out” (giggle, giggle), “put our right hands in” (giggle, giggle) and “shake it all about!” (hysterical laughter) “do the hokey pokey” (giggle, giggle) and “turn yourself about” (more hysterical laughter) “that’s what it’s all about!” CLAP (hysterical laughter, jumping and smiles all around). We must have played this for about 30 minutes and our group of 25 grew to about 60 or 70. Eventually they all had to go to class but it was fun while it lasted and I believe that some students now know their foot from their hand and, if I’m lucky, their left from their right. The question is, do they know a hokey from a pokey? At the afternoon assembly, the deputy headmaster (who had no seen me playing with them) as them (in Kinyarwanda) if they knew my name. I think he expected them to call me Tina. They all shouted “Yego!” in unison, and then when he asked me what it was, they shouted “Anna!” He was a little surpsied but the children and I got a laugh out of it. I trained the teachers after lunch and considering one teacher was teaching prepositions, I suggested singing the hokey-pokey and taught it to the teachers, who giggled as much as the students. They loved it and I hope they will try it with the students. I come back next week so they may. And may, they will know a hokey from a pokey and they can teach me – because I certainly do not!

No comments:

Post a Comment