Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One Month In....


Officially it’s been a month already! August 29th at about 8:30am, Christine, Portia and I touched down at Kigali International Airport. Wow! Time has flown. I realize more and more that I am being accustomed to life in Rwanda because I’m writing less and less. It’s becoming less of an adventure and more just “normal.” The children still march up to me, hand outstretch to say “Gooooood Morning…..” (whether its 8am or 3pm). 

 

Work is becoming more like a job now. I’m getting used to the pace and to my role. One of things I want to do is develop a workshop for Math teachers to create and develop sustainable resources. So, I’ve been collecting Fanta (and Coke and Sprite and Primus ) caps to use as counters, integer tiles or whatever. I’ve asked a few restaurants to collect them too. The other day I went into the corner store (doesn’t have a name but we all know the one) and the guy had a bag waiting for me. I had totally forgotten that I asked him. Then today I went for mélange at Moderne and Moses was there. He’s been collecting them for me too. It’s so nice to walk around this town now and say “hello” to the people I know. I also had a great meeting with my charge. One of the things he really wants to develop is a system and skills for head teachers to observe, evaluate and provide feedback for their teachers. So, I’m in the process of developing a workshop to train them in this. I’ve also developed a Needs Assessment for head teachers in four areas: English Language Needs, Methodology Needs, Resource Needs, and School Administration/Whole School Needs.

 

Thursday Epiphane is putting on a workshop for teachers in her diocese. (Some of use work at sector level, some at district – me – and some with the dioceses.) She asked Jason and I to contribute so tonight we were at her house to put it together. Her domestique cooked for us and used nut flour for a sauce. I think I really need to do this to get some protein in my diet. I’ve been eating boiled eggs and peanut butter and of course, when I go for mélange, I’ve had goat. Still….I could use some more. The best part of the evening was the Maple Tea straight from….Canada! Epi is from Ottawa and so it was a treat. I think I just smelled the tea for a while before I ever drank it. Actually at this workshop Christine and Dorothy will come up from Kierhe District and so the Canadians will actually outnumber the Brits. Finally!

 

The house has been so quiet without Tina and cooking for one person is something I am not used to. We have a lot of vegetables that will go unused before market day tomorrow. So, I gave Johnny Boy some carrots. He is so friendly but quite sick. I feel awkward about the whole – having a guard – thing. The thing is, Johnny Boy has been a guard at this house since even before Tina and I were here. So, it would be worse to put him out of a job. Plus, we pay him more than even VSO allows – which is still too low. So, it’s been quiet here but at least I know I’m not alone. Also, I’ve had to kill all the spiders on my own! Like the mother of a spider in the shower yesterday. That would never have happened three years ago. Water has been consistently on for the last 4 or 5 days and electricity has not been off for more than a few hours at a time (even though those house seem to be when I’m home). The water, though is very cloudy and you can smell the metal in it. Things are pretty good. I fill my evenings writing here, reading my book or…as a treat, watching movies. I watched “Role Models” last night which is low brow, ridiculous humor that is necessary every once in while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment