Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Today there wasn’t much going on.  Jean did not work last night so I got to sleep in. I even left my cell phone in the living room lest I be disturbed from my slumber. I woke up to no water but still made myself some coffee. Then the electricity went out. No worries. It is always bright and sunny so I sat and read for, literally, 2 hours. The water came back on and we showered and decided to walk to St. Joseph’s for mélange and so that I could buy some fresh eggs. By then Danny and his friend from England, John, had arrived but were not quite up for food. The walk was beautiful and quiet. Some of the students I taught on Friday were down at their homes and shouted up, “Anna!” and waved. They were so far away that I could barely find them through the bushes and banana trees. The mélange was huge and we were stuffed. Then a chicken came running in, squawking and slipping on the tiles and hiding under the tables and chairs. What was she hiding from? The man in the big white chefs hat that followed her in. She ran under the legs of some patrons and behind the bar but she was no match for the chef. He scooped her up and took her directly to the….kitchen. As we were walking back Tina looked through the forest and said “Look! There are two other mzungus!” I followed her gaze and laughed. It was Danny and John. Only in Kibungo do mzungus point out other mzungus with excitement only to find out that they are your roommates. 

Tomorrow is a bank holiday so we're heading to Akagera National Park to see animals. I'm so excited. And, Tina let me use her modem so I actually have internet at home!! I feel connected to the world again....

Stayed tuned for pictures of giraffes, hippos and, I hope, an elephant! 

No comments:

Post a Comment