Sunday, September 6, 2009

Family Dinner


I am immensely enjoying my last 2 days with technology. It's Sunday and we all have the day off. So, a number of us are here again! I think that when we go to our placements that will change but we are taking advantage. The wireless at this cafe is so fast that I downloaded all these pictures in less than 3 minutes and I Skyped with Aimey. That's the best invention ever. The world seems so small. Last night we had our VSO Family Dinner. All volunteers and staff met for a giagantic dinner. There must have been 45 or 50 of us all over the country. We played games and then watched traditional dancing. It was amazing! I took some pictures but it's so hard in this country because at night, the flash reflects off the dust particles in the air. Honestly, the dust is so bad. At night it just looks like fog, but then you realize that it's the brown / red earth. I met so many volunteers, including Tina who will be my neighbour for the next few months. She has been so welcoming. Apparently the house is full of bees right now. On the list of creatures has included ants, fleas, bed bugs, a tarantula, beens, mouse and a rat. I figure that they won't come back. I'm hoping. Apparently I have a mango tree too and according to Tom (the volunteer that just left) I have the best bed of all VSO volunteers. After dinner we took a taxi to a bar to watch a Rwandan reggae band. It wasn't a late night but by Anna standards, it was late. Today has been a lazy day with a walk to the VSO office to get another novel (they have loads of them!) and to Kimironko market. 

Traditional dancing with the singers and drummers in the background.



Out and about. We could not get Karen to keep her eyes open!

Kimironko market. See the mzungus walking towards us.

No comments:

Post a Comment