Friday, September 25, 2009

A week in review

Another week has flown by and when I look at the calender I realize that I have been gone four weeks. Wow!! Some highlights of the week, in no particular order, will follow - because I have not had time to sit down and write, nor have I had the energy. 
- Our week started with a small electrical fire outside my bedroom window. We didn't realize this and went on to Akagera anyway! We came back to no power and this lasted until Wednesday when it was fixed. Honestly, I was expecting it to take weeks but it was quick. Yay! No power did mean cooking by candle light, couldn't charge phones and computers - but the house was cozy. 
-I experienced my first Rwandan rain of the season. It was insane. I couldn't leave the office and waited until the rain slowed a little. My rain jacket will be no match for it, that's for sure. The red dirt runs like red rivers. 
-Tuesday and Wednesday we did work planning in the office and Thursday I went with Jason to a school to do some observations and training. We observed and met with four teachers of English and Math. I got to a model lesson on integers and I brought Fanta tops to teach positives and negatives (no proper integer tiles here!) The teachers and deputy head were convinced the group work is possible and encourages participation
-Our laundry was done on Tuesday and remained wet until today - we had to hang everything indoors because it's rainy season. Thankfully I brought enough socks and underwear.....
-Thursday Danny and John left to back to England so the house seems a bit empty. Tina and I were going to watch a movie but our house was invaded by flying ants. They were EVERYWHERE. Tina suggested putting a candle in the middle of a bowl of water and no sooner had we done that then the ants began to dive for the light, and fell to their death into the soapy water! Ha ha!!
-Today I'll go to Kigali for the night for some good food, to buy some coffee and peanut butter and to visit with some friends. Saturday morning is Umagandu so not much will be open then. It will be a short but I think needed break from Kibungo. It's funny, though, because this place feels like home and I don't really want to be away for too long.
-I'm suffering from a bit of a cold but it's not malaria or guardia so I'll live!

Still loving life Rwandan style - showers are freezing, kerosene smell is overwhelming, bike rides are amazing, fruit is tasty and the flying ants are all dead....for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment