Thursday, January 7, 2010

Back in the Land of a Thousand Hills....and great coffee

Well 30 hours later, I hopped off the bus infront of my house and came home. I live, literally, on the road to Tanzania and had the busdriver pull infront of my driveway instead of continuing the two hours to Kigali and then having to catch a bus back to Kibungo. I arrived to a warm welcome from the gang at the motorcycle co-op and when I went to get food from Consolee, another big hug and "welcome home." Of course, I arrived to no water but it's back on now and I had a big long sleep in my own bed. It is nice to be in a place where I have to wake up in the middle of the night to put on a sweater. I don't think I'm cut out for hot places. The best part about coming home? COFFEE. Why is it that Starbucks sells "African coffee" but you cannot find a decent one in all of Tanzania? So, this morning, as I sift through my photos, catch up on emails and look out at the mist covered hills of Kibungo, I sip gorgeous Rwandan coffee from the comfort of my home. The trip was great and I still can't believe that on Christmas and New Years I was walking barefoot through the white sands and wading in the water of the Indian Ocean. Seems like a bit of a dream, actually. I will write a longer post about the trip but here are some highlights....
- Christmas dinner of Red Snapper, Jack fruit and Zanzibar donoughts
- The "Romantic Bungalows" that were anything but.
- 60 hours riding a bus through the Tanzanian hinterlands
- Heat stroke, heat rash, dehydration and sea sickness. All the things that make up a great holiday on an exotic tropic island. (Yes, I think I'm more cut out for Iceland than Zanzibar)
- Singing "Christmas in Killarney" while dancing around a mini Christmas tree
- Snorkelling in the Indian Ocean on boxing day
- Kayaking in crystal clear water
- Eating the best Indian food ever at the Dar es Salaam Badminton Institute. Really.
.....and a few other adventures that I'll save for another day.

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2010 brings you health and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment