Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Two Months for the Price of One

I'm brutal. I know. I promised to sell you a month if you donated to CUSO-VSO. I've been trying in earnest to find out who has donated in my name to the organization. Unfortunately, after many, many emails and not replies from the fundraising coordinator at CUSO-VSO I'll admit, I gave up. I'm upset that those of you who donated in good faith deserve to be acknowledged. So, since CUSO-VSO will not respond to me, if you have donated PLEASE email me. I want to give you credit and a big fat THANK YOU for your support! Support comes in many forms too. While some of you can donate money to a good organization, so many more of you have given me your support with great emails, some with cards and photos of family in the mail, some with packages with treats from home and all of you for reading this little blog and being interested in this adventure. 

There is someone out there who has also done all of this...my friend Ang. Okay...and her husband Eric, too. (But who are we kidding Eric? It wasn't you that sat in the hot tub with me for HOURS....just kidding!)  I was going to thank them in November because this is also Ang's birthday but somehow November came and went. Here we are, officially at the half-way point of December and I'm finally getting around to it. 

I met Ang in my first year of teaching and we've been at the same two schools since then. She's been not only a support in my professional career (remember Wednesday School?) but also become a great friend. She called me today and I realize how much I miss sitting in the hot tub with a glass of wine until our fingers are wrinkly. Eric even got on the phone and attempted to say "beer" in Kinyarwanda. But the funniest story about me coming here happened, surprise, in the hot tub. I met Ang's mom that day and we were all enjoying a soak in the summer sun. Aimey and Ang were plotting how to keep me in Calgary. We were talking about what things you could and couldn't get in Rwanda. I'd heard somewhere, I told them, that you can't buy tampons in Rwanda. I ask them to if they would mail them to me. Ang and Aimey were adamant. They would never mail me tampons and so I'd just HAVE to come home. Ang's mom looked at me across the hot tub and said "Don't worry, Anna. I'll send you tampons!" (Incidently, you CAN buy them here....)
So again, thanks Ang and Eric. Your support means a lot. And don't worry, Eric. I'll order the beer.

If anyone else has sent money in my name, please, please let me know! And send me your best mug shot!



1 comment:

  1. Dear Anna,
    I think I just posted a comment that was lost.
    As i said in the first message. My name is Kristie Kelly and I work at CUSO-VSO in Communications and Public Engagement. I enjoy your blog. I will investigate who has donated in your name and get back to you. Send me amessage at kristie.kelly@cuso-vso.org.
    Take care and have a great day.
    Kristie Kelly
    Acting Manager, Communications and Public Engagement

    ReplyDelete