Thursday, October 15, 2009

Head Teachers' Needs Assessment

My job is a great job. I get to work with 65 schools in the district and provide training to teachers about methodology. So, I thought I would start with head teachers (some people call them directors, we would call them school principals). A lot of great work has been done here so I wanted to get a baseline assessment and then find out what needs still had to be met. All head teachers arrived more or less on time. The meeting was complicated by the fact that there was an election for a vice mayor taking place next door and many had to go vote there. We arranged the workshop so that we would first assess what’s already happened in schools and then survey teacher needs. I selected four categories of needs: English language needs, methodology needs, resource needs and school administration needs. The day was long but the head teachers were keen to participate. I will also take this needs assessment to four or five schools and ask teachers directly what they feel they need as well. From this, I will develop workshops and training for the district and hopefully see a positive impact in the next year. This is a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment