Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hmmmm what else can I pack?



I haven't posted in a little while and since then I really feel like I have hit the ground running. Well, except for this exact moment. Right now I'm enjoying Canada Day with a cup of coffee and listening to Griffen House. So a quick Happy Canada to everyone out there! 

Last Saturday my parents came out to Airdrie for supper. Before they arrived I tried to do a practice pack. I have a luggage limit of 25kgs. FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!!! But I managed to cram everything in......but barely! I've really been thinking about those "comfort" items I should bring to remind me of home. I have my computer with pictures, my IPod and a few comfy t-shirts but think I'll bring a coffee mug that I love and a show shoe sign. Really, I can't bring my piano (it's not the Chilkoot Trail, after all!) or my family or my friends and it doesn't make 
sense to bring my favourite Icelandic sweater so I'll have to get creative. I managed to be just under 50lbs and so I figure I can squeeze one more David Sedaris book or a box of Tin Roof Icecream....

While my parents were here I showed them my motorcycle helmet - which I think worries them to no end. I really need to stop joking about falling off and breaking my jaw. My mom tried on the helmet and I've told her that when they come to visit she can wear it, herself. We had a great dinner. I am trying to convince them to come for a visit and even got them the Lonely Planet East Africa to help them plan their trip. (There is a standing invitation to any of you out there to come for a visit!)


School ended yesterday and I said my good byes to colleagues that I won't see now for what seems like an eternity. It was sad and exciting all at the same time. Suzanne left a nice letter for me and that did the tear ducts working - although I managed to compose myself and no tears actually left my eyes! It was a beautiful day but I had things to do! Aimey and ran a few errands and then we got ready for a swim but I forgot my goggles and cap and so was limited to using a flutter board. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind. 

Now, I will focus my energies for the next 6 days on getting everything ready for Peru and try to get in some relaxation and a visit to the Stampede. Let's see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment