Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Now that I'm closer to 40 than to 20.... Sigh

While most things have been positive, I'm sad to say that March 1st wasn't so.... I turned 31 and am one step closer to the following: death (okay, a bit extreme), finding grey hairs, retirement (not so bad, actually), beginning to drive really slow, believing that a pension is important, false teeth, wrinkles, Depends and Centrum. Now, I'm not one to really complain about my age. I have the pleausre of constantly fooling people about my age. People find it very hard to believe that I'm closer to forty than twenty. One man thought I was 15, which was not even flattering it was so ridiculous. But I know that I don't look my age (or act it, for that matter). I am happy to say that I'm happy with life at at my ripe old age, that's all I can ask for. So, to celebrate taking these steps closer to forty, I decided to call upon my favourite people in Kibungo and enjoy Primus, goat brochettes and the BEST chips this side of the Akagera River. Jeremy and Jason are my VSO partners in crime. (Education is our business, and business is GOOD!). Jeremy treated me to a few chocolate bars, also. (How does he ALWAYS know when I'm running out?) Elie is my French, come Kinyarwanda teacher who's last name means "moving from one place to another" because that's what his mom was doing when she gave birth. He is so easy going, so hard working and a wealth of information. Frodauld is my boss (soon to be ex-boss, as he has decided to pursue his Master's full time). He is so great and looks at the world in such a great way. When he arrived, after us, he noticed taht we all had big Primus bottles except for Elie, who was drinking Sprite. "Oh Elie," he said "You have disrupted the harmony!" And Suzanne who is my saviour. It's she who I turn to when I need help, have a question or just want some company with estrogen! 

In all, it was a memorable birthday but not just because I was sitting in East Africa but because I was with good friends as well. Of course, there were a few moments when I was a bit homesick. Last year I also spent my birthday with family and friends and missed them yesterday. BUT I did get the mid morning (hey, it's 2am in Calgary!) text from my brother and a phone call from Aimey. Of course, there were a few "wallpost" on Facebook, which is nice. My parents also called while I was in the middle of a workshop but the teachers were thrilled to know it was my mom and dad. My dad even wrote me an email:

"We missed you on your birthday. The cake was delicious." Sigh. 


Notice:Primus, chips, brochettes, pili pili and ...smiles! (Now where is the cheese...?)
Suzanne and Frodauld making me laugh. (Frodauld hates his picture being taken)
Me, Froduald, Jeremy, Elie, Jason and Suzanne
Frodauld and Teddy. (This bear was left by Tina for me to give to Frodauld for his two children. He was just going to stuff poor tedding in the computer bag until we told him that his head had to peek out to breathe. He walked the whole way home this way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment