Sunday, March 21, 2010

Yogurt in Kibungo

So maybe an update of the week instead of the, of late, insults directed at the Alberta Tories...

Monday I stayed home because I wasn't feeling well. Nothing serious - or at least nothing that time and Imodium would settle. It began on Saturday with the bookswap. Did I talk about that yet? No? Okay....start from the beginning...

Saturday, as you know, was book swap. It was a full house but no thanks to me. More thanks to the VolCom (Volunteer Committee) meeting that was at 10am and the fact that many people had arrived to Kigali for a major birthday party that night. I was happy to get two books. 1) The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.  I've already finished this one and it was really good but I'll have to disagree with my Vice Prinicpal at my school at home. It isn't one of my favourite books but I was glad I read it. The writing was different and it was nice to read another well written book that takes place in India. 2) The Dream Catcher by Stephen King. Yes folks, I do like Stephen King. Ever since I read "Eyes of the Dragon" when I was, like, 10. And since watching Stand By Me and It. I just started it this morning. I'll you know.....

Christine and I came back to Kibungo Saturday night and it was a good thing because I started to feel a big off. We climbed on the bug and - thankfully - they have a new bus station in Kayonza which includes toilets. The rest of the way home was okay but I was glad that Christine was with me in the evening to heat up our supper.

We lazed around Sunday morning and finally made it to her village to have an afternoon brunch of French toast and....wait for it.... MAPLE SYRUP. I'm not one of those Canadians who never east maple syprup until their abraod and tell everyone that it is our culturally unifying symbol. No - I actually love the stuff. I like the real maple syrup best but in university did douse my entire breakfast (powered eggs and frozen sausages) in the fake stuff, just to make it edible.

Sunday night was back and begun to feel off again. Went to bed early and woke up feeling like I didnt' want to chance a moto ride to a school with a pit latrine. Nor did I want to walk to district where the toilets are sometimes locked and when they are open, they rarely flush. I did work from home and did walk up to the district in the afternoon because I was feeling better. 

Tuesday I went to a school in town and was greeted by a great staff again. Some of teachers did their "homework" which was to create rice sacks. The rest hadn't. In three weeks, they didn't even have English club even though at first they told me they had. I was disappointed because the head teacher had agreed to support the teachers and he obviously hadn't. It was frustrating but I have assurances that the school will in the next few weeks. Our Kinyarwanda lesson was postponed as Jeremy had found himself out in Jarama at 5pm and it's a one hour trip by motorbike, at least!

Wednesday I was out at Bare and am always happy to go. The head teacher is organized and encouraging. We've planned to have a staff volley ball game when Aimey comes for a visit in July. Teachers will play and kids will watch. I think I may just take photos. I was once convinced to play in the competitive league for the ATA tournament and nursed blackened arms for a week after! My principal still gives me a hard time for it -- and I give him an equally hard time for pushing me out of the way so we didn't lose the point. I was okay with this (I'm not a competitive person) but was a bit more worried when one of my teammates says "When this guy serves, Anna, just cover your face." I suppose it was easy for the other team to find the weakest link. A few year's later I was playing again - this time in the recreational leagugue - and I was smoked in the chest first, then as I was nursing a sore breastbone, a stray ball from the game next to us made it's way over and hit me on the head. HONESTLY! This sport is NOT for me......

Wednesday night was...of course...St. Patrick's Day. I forced the two Js to have a beer with me at St. Joseph's. They do serve Guinness but even on St. Patrick's day, i don't think it's worth it. Primus for me, thank you very much. Gerard met us and then drove us home IN HIS CAR. I have sat in exactly two cars in Rwanda. This was my second. Very exciting....

Thursday we had a meeting with head teachers which, as par for the course, started over an hour late. Not due to Jeremy's planning, but rather to the massive rain storm that fell the night before. It makes roads tricky and everyone starts things late. We did have Kinyarwanda lesson after this.

Friday was a slower day but I think I needed it. I prepared a presentation for a meeting on Monday and then called it a day. Christine came over again (after getting a lift to Kibungo because the busses had stopped running). We drank Waraji and then to bed early. Saturday was going to be busy. 

Before 9am we collectively had already been to the  market, done photocopying and been to the bank. We hopped on a 'small' bus and chatted all the way to Kigali - me sitting on the crack of the jump seat the whole way. We we finally got off in Remera, I could barely walk. We were so productive. I picked up a skirt I was having made, bought peanut butter, went the craft cooperative for a few things, to Nakumatt for lentils and by 2:30 we were at Arian and Dmitri's for Adrien's 3rd birthday party. Of course we couldn't stay long. We caught the 4pm bus (barely making it as we only left the party at 3:45!). Walking home from the bus station my parents called to chat and I settled into my couch to watch some How I Met Your Mother!

Today has already been productive - I finished my book and started another, I'm "blogging", I've topped up all my water and I cleaned my filter. I've even started packing! 

And so, I leave you with a piece of news that is the biggest thing to happen to me this week. I found out that you can by yogurt in Kibungo!!!! I think this might actually change my life. First, the garage next door began selling cash power (so I no longer have to go into town when my electricity runs out) and now YOGURT!! This means that I can start introducing calcium into my diet. I was so excited at the shop that I think the guy thought I was crazy -- especially because I think they have been selling it all year but it's kept in the fridge and so if I hadn't been there and seen them put it in, I would never have known. YOGURT!!! I don't have to go to Kigali any more just have it! I can buy one a day (remember, I don't have a fridge). And it's not like there is a choice of flavour or brand -- it's strawberry from Inyange -- but choice is something I'm learning to live with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment