Monday, November 23, 2009

Problem of papers.

Today is Monday. This morning I called Patrick for a drive to Gafunzo school. This is so far!! Almost an hour on a motorbike but as you know, this is my favourite part. I grabbed pink, my head band –come neck protector from Krystal, rain gear and workshop materials and we were off. This was a new route for me and it was stunning. Rolling hills and valleys as far as the eye could see. A field of pineapples and gardens of green beans that are growing thanks to the rain. I took a note that I wanted to stop and take pictures on our way back. Patrick would be up for that. 

And then we came upon a police check point.

Now, if you hadn’t gathered this before, Rwanda has more checkpoints than I think it has banana trees. Busses and motos and cars are forever being stopped. The police are vigilant, and this is a good thing, about ensuring that the driver has proper documentation. I wasn’t worried because it’s Patrick! He has one of the new moto vests and everything. Of course, when he started patting his pockets and coming up with nothing I got a bit concerned. No problem (naki bazo!), he’ll probably get a stern warning and be allowed to continue.

And then the police officer reached over and took the key out of the ignition.

More discussion ensued and the word “muzungu” and “Gafunzo” came up. The officer then explained it to me --- as if I hadn’t figured it out. Patrick has no license on him. He does not have the papers to operate the bike. It’s all the way in Kibungo – 45 miuntes away – and we’re in the middle of nowhere. The officer gestures that I need to get off the bike so I comply. Patrick is still on it. I’m told to walk but I explained that I don’t know wehre I am.

“Oh, the school is just up there….” (Like that helps. I’m in the middle of freaking Rwanda folks….I don’t really know what “up there” means)

Then, Patrick is told to get off the bike. He takes his helmets and the police take his bike and drive away! They are taking it to sector office and so he and I head to Gafunzo on two feet and a heart beat.

“Patrick, what’s the problem?”

“Anna. Big problem. Problem of papers.”

Sigh…

I sent a message to the head teacher of Gafunzo who promptly sent a teacher - named after Jean Baptiste because he was born on June 24 and a forest, because his mother had just come out of a forest when he was born - on a bicycle for me. We walked to the school and Patrick continued onto the office to – hopefully – retrieve his bike.  The workshop went well. There was even a bat that had joined us for the day. When it was over Patrick was there! Thankfully!! I thought he would have gone all the way back to Kibungo to get his papers but he must have sorted it out at the sector office.  There he is, waiting, with a big smile…..sans bike helmets.

“Patrick, where is your moto?”

“At sector office. Big problem. Problem of a papers. We’ll take a taxi bus.”

Me: groan. That will take at least 2 hours and I have to pee…… We are in the middle of nowhere..I suppose, this could be an adventure. But my bladder thought otherwise and the first moto that did pull up Patrick said not to take because the driver wasn’t good.

“Patrick, I would like to take a moto.”

“Anna? Problem of time?”

“Yes, Patrick. Problem of time.”

So I waited and finally did find another driver. All the way back to Kibungo without Patrick, getting used to a new driver and …sigh…we never did get to stop and take pictures of the pineapple fields and the valley. Maybe next time.


Patrick making a call ... sans bike.
Patrick looking less that happy at the situation. He was smiling just before. Really, he was.
Our visitor. A little late for Halloween.
Teachers working with our visitor. See the black dot between the windows?

No comments:

Post a Comment