Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Long Journey Begins!

First, you all need to read Tina's blog - especially if you have any worries at all about me. She has done such a great job of taking pictures of her house, which will be my house soon enough. The link is on the right of this page. 

Well, I think I'm packed. It took me no more than 40 minutes. Two small bags, which is good because I can divide everything in half: socks, underwear, shirts, pants, malaria pills, contact lenses, shoes. That way, if one bag goes missing at least I'll having something. I hope it doesn't happen but just to be on the safe side. I still have to wait to pack in last minute things. I'll put off putting on clean clothes for a while. My journey begins tonight at 8pm when I check in and ends Saturday morning at 8:30am in Kigali - and that's assuming everything goes as planned! 

Tuesday night I got together with some friends to say good bye. It was harder than I thought. A lot can happen in a year! I also met a second cousin. We met on facebook after she recognized my last name on another friends profile. We have the same great-grand father! It's such a small world. She has been to Africa and brought me the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency which I've been meaning to read for years now. Nadine also brought along "dry shampoo". I'd never heard of it before but you can get all the oil and crap out of your hair when you don't have water. Apparently this happens often.


Keri, me and my dad.  Fitzgibbon cousins!

Cheers!

Nadine and I

Representing J23. 


Yesterday, after my procrastination, I made my second last Canadian meal which was a spinach tortellini dish. Yummy! And I made a tray of brownies. I don't know the last time I had brownies but I certainly don't know when I'll have them again. I got to talk to Em in Victoria and then talked my parents over Skype just to test it out. Now, assuming I can get reliable internet once in a while in Kibungo, I'll be able to chat with them for free! Tonight they come over for a "last supper" (guess we'll all have to sit on the same side of the table.....) and I've convinced Aimey to made her cashew spinach salad. We'll also have cheese smokies on the bbq and sweet potato fries. Then, we'll all head to the airport to say good bye / see you soon. This is my last post from C-Town. I will likely write sitting in Heathrow for 7 HOURS but if not, we'll chat again when I get to Rwanda. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment