Friday, June 12, 2009

The Great Helmet Debate

I feel lucky that as plans change, I'm in Calgary not wandering the Inca Trail in Peru or getting screeched in in Newfoundland. I still have time to get things done. I got an email today that yes, I do indeed, need to bring a motorcycle helmet to Rwanda. The email was a forward that was between VSO staff and travelled the world between Ottawa, Dublin and probably Kigali. It was long. There was a lot of discussion, but in the end safety won out. I'll be travelling via "moto" a lot and so that I can have one that fits, and has some level of safety certification, it's recommended (ahem, required) to bring one with me. So, 25kgs and one motorcycle helmet. It will make for good conversation on the plane and if the plane's engines fail and we start a rapid descent, I'll be sure to unwrap that baby and hold on for dear life. I got thinking, though, how uneasy I might make other passengers feel if, during a bit of turbulence, I grab for the helmet in a mad panic. Or, turn to my fellow passengers, helmet in hand, and say "You really should have brought your own. I've heard Westjet is terrible!" (NB: Yes, I have a sneaking feeling that Westjet DOES NOT fly to Rwanda but their sunny attitudes are sometimes a bit too much and, quite frankly, a few of them would do well to have a motorcycle helmet shoved over their heads just to shut them up!) But I digress....

I will be looking at motorcycle helmets tomorrow. 

Tonight I went to see David Sedaris speak. For those of you who know me well, you know that I own (or used to own before I lost them) two copies of only one book. That book (listed in the About Me section) is called Me Talk Pretty One Day. It was the first book by David Sedaris that I read and so, even though I've read some since, it still holds a place in my heart. Krystal and Pat bought me his latest book, and I devoured it. I was even waiting for the C-Train one day reading it, when a stranger came up to me who had read it and we got talking about how great he is. (Not the stranger, but David Sedaris) So, who is this David Sedaris guy? Well, if you've clicked on the link, you already know. If not, he is this uber funny American living abroad and is so funny that I laugh out loud when I read him. I wouldn't do any of his books justice but suffice to say, tonight was not a disappointment. He talked about everything from breast milk in champagne glasses to making nachos out of Communion wafers. And this is from when he was on Letterman give you an idea of what's in his newest book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment