Thursday, June 18, 2009

4 years of teaching and all I have to show for it is $3.56!

Today was officially the last day of classes for students. I took some time in the afternoon to pack up my classroom. Officially I have a leave of absence and am coming back to my old position - but a lot can happen in a year and I don't want to leave my teaching treasures at the school lest they become displaced! I packed up a lot of things - many with great memories. One of the teachers I work with suggested, a long time ago. to keep a folder of notes and mementos to look at on the those days when you wonder why you joined the profession in the first place. I had some great things in there. It was sort of sad, actually. To know I won't be there next year. I'll miss those kids a lot. Here are some of the few things I packed away:

- a key chain in the shape of a chalk board that says "Teachers never erase students from their hearts". This was from a boy I taught my first year who had a tendency to swear and throw things across the room when angry. I taught him for two years and developed with him an "understanding" and a positive teaching experience. (He actually gave me a hug the year I left his school!)

-a picture taken by current grade 9 students during the last federal election. They went down to the local Liberal candidate's headquatres and each posed behind campaign signs, snapped a picture, posted it on Facebook (supposedly - we're not "friends") and then brought me a copy. The next week in class, I walked in to the room to find two more "aquired" signs on the black board. This time, one was Conservative and one was Liberal. I guess they sensed my neutrality and wanted to showcase both sides of the ideological spectrum. How mature they are in their political philosophies!! I then reminded them of Elections Canada regulations (I'm pretty sure they are also laws) that it is forbidden to deface or remove political posters and how lucky it was for them to have found the signs lying on the grass after that big wind storm. And how responsible they were for bringing them to me lest they litter our community.

-an Irish piggy bank that a colleague of mine got for me the first year I taught with her. I may have mentioned to her (and ALL my students) that St. Patrick's Day is my favourite day of the year. Since then I've had it on my desk and when I've found a dime or a nickle on my floor I've put it in. The goal was to have enough money to retire early. Curious students have also picked it up and asked, how much money was in it. My response was always "Not very much. But it's for my retirement if you're interested in contributing." Sometimes, they did! And so I empited it and found a whopping $3.56. Lordy, Lordy we're having biscuits tonight!

-a dream catcher. From a student (who claims he didn't make it but thought I would like it anyway) who is one of those students with whom you feel like you actually did make a difference.

- A note from a student who, when in Grade 4, told a teacher to "f*** off". Grade 4! He came to me half way through his grade 7 year. I taught him math. He did run out of my room once and hide in the bathroom. But he also wrote me a note telling me that I was the first teacher to make math fun

-Birthday cards from a half-dozen students

-A picture of me with some 9E girls who printed it off to give me because "Oh my God you, like, totally look like one of us!" and "You're hair looks, like, so good!" (Remember earlier post where I discuss how often my students and I talk about hair in class....)

-Picture from my student teaching days in Edmonton. The first group of kids I ever taught. I thought I knew everything then. All I'm realizing is that I don't know much and have so much to learn in this teaching career. And, the people that will teach me the most is my students. They are honest and discerning.

So, as I pack up my classroom before heading to Rwanda, I look forward to the years ahead of me and I'm thankful that I'm in a job that I love. There is a joke about teaching that says "This job would be great if it wasn't for the kids." I can honestly say that "This job is great because of the kids."

No comments:

Post a Comment