Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Am I Really Prepared?

So, if it's not the malaria that's going to get me, it's probably a car accident or rabies. That, in a nutshell, was the message of my Preparing For Change course in Ottawa this weekend. Okay, not really - but it was memorable....

Friday, bright and early, I was up and on my way to the airport thanks to a good friend that was willing to bring me there before the sun was up. On the plane I got thinking that it was really the first step in a long and exciting adventure. My suitcase was tucked comfortably in the belly of the plane, I had my book (I'm reading World Without End and highly recommend it!) and I was watching live satellite television.

My cousin D'Arcy picked me up at the airport. He's a fellow teacher and is subbing in Ottawa. He took the day off to come and get me and before I had to be at the CUSO-VSO office his gave me a "drive by" near Parliament Hill and the Supreme Court. The buildings are more impressive in person. I know, I know.....you have all seen it, I'm sure. For me, it's where the magic happens - or lack thereof! D'Arcy dropped me off at the CUSO-VSO office so I could meet my advisor, Mikael. The meeting went well - I confirmed my posting (although I'm STILL waiting for confirmation from the Rwandan office), I gave him my passport and a few forms. And then he told me that yes, indeed, I would have to learn to drive a motorcycle!! I've been phoning around for lessons and will be looking to buy a helmet this weekend. VSO gives us $300 for a helmet and Mikael suggested white - given that in Africa the black helmets get really hot.

The PFC course lasted all weekend and was so informative. It was a mixture of travel tips, health information, counselling and dealing with loneliness and my international relations courses at the U of A. I felt like I was back in Keating or Knight's class learning about the IMF and World Bank. Eventually....when I have a moment, I'll give you a run down of why the IMF is evil and how SAPs have sucked the life out of developing nations and their ability to provide universal education. There were three concurrent courses going on and I was able to meet a few other volunteers heading to Africa. Of course, not everyone knows where they are going yet. One volunteer is going to Lima in mid-June and so Aimey and I will give him a call when we arrive so we can have a face to show us around! There was a Francophone group there too so while I'm still too shy to speak French, I had a chance to listen to a lot of it. 

One of the bonuses of the trip to Ottawa was that I got to see my cousins. D'Arcy and Blanka hosted me and I got to meet little Mary! They hosted a dinner so that my aunt and uncle and other cousins could come and say hello. It's always good to see family! So thanks for the great food and yummy coffee!




The course ended Monday afternoon and the 13 of us said our good byes, see you in June and let me know where you go. There was a sort of kinship to the weekend. Finally I was with like-minded people who were selling their stuff, putting their boxes into storage and bidding farewells to life in Canada for a chance to make a difference abroad. We bonded over the responses to friends and families when we tell them we are "going to (insert developing country name here)". I head back to Ottawa in June for the final cours
e called Skills For Working in Development. A few of the volunteers will be there for sure and the rest....well maybe I'll run into them again!


NEXT UP....FUNDRAISING....

Don't worry, I won't be banging down the door to get you to give me money to go to Rwanda. But it does cost $30,000 for CUSO-VSO to send one volunteer overseas. So, I may be "selling a month" abroad to an individual, family or group. You will get special recognition for your donation on this website for a minimum contribution of $100 to CUSO-VSO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment