Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wanted: A Freezer in Kibungo

May 8, 2010

I have become a bit of a technical genius while in Rwanda. I see that locals will fix EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. It makes me think we are so wasteful in the west. If something breaks, we just chuck it out and get a new one. I admit, I have this mentality too. So when my internet modem wasn’t working, I was all prepared to go to Kigali and simply by another instead of fixing it. But with some patience (of which I am usually short on supply), I fixed the problem all by my self. Yay!!!

And now….

I bought a WD External Hard drive and loaded that 500MB baby up with movies and television shows to help me through the long nights. It wasn’t cheap and the HOURS of downloading things took forever. Truthfully, I had more – much more – than I needed. But I had variety. And friends were so nice to led me things to down load (Ang, Amanda, Nadine). It was working fine until this morning when it started to make a strange clicking sound and is not readable by my computer. Awesome. So, now that my internet is fixed, I’m trying to find a solution. There has been a lot of computer lingo that I don’t understand but there was one solution that I found simple and mildly entertaining. “Put it in the freezer.”

Now, if only I could find one of those in Kibungo.

No comments:

Post a Comment